Jan 23, 2019Del Monte Foods releases 2018 Sustainability Report
Del Monte Foods (U.S. subsidiary of Del Monte Pacific Limited, Bloomberg: DELM SP, DELM PM), one of the nation’s largest producers, distributors, and marketers of premium quality, branded food products, announced the release of its first Sustainability report Jan. 23.
The Del Monte Foods 2018 Sustainability Report reflects the company’s most relevant environmental, social and governance (ESG) topics. The report focuses on four vital pillars: food chain transparency, caring for Earth’s goodness, nurturing people, and investing in the future of food. Using this roadmap, Del Monte Foods prioritized direct actions within each of the key pillars in order to enhance society, care for the environment, and provide for the longevity of the business.
“By nurturing all that is good in our products and in our business practices, we can fulfill the needs of today’s families while creating a sustainable business for the future,” said Greg Longstreet, President & CEO, Del Monte Foods, Inc. “Our 2018 Sustainability report showcases how we are performing on an array of important social and environmental initiatives.”
The report, which openly shares the company’s sustainability objectives, progress, and way of working, is further evidence of the importance Del Monte Foods places on transparent business practices.
“As a Del Monte grower, I know the company has the highest standards in the industry,” said Jim Mortenson, of Mortenson Brothers Farms, Inc., a vegetable grower for Del Monte Foods.” “Narrowing the gap between farm and table is critical. This report sets out in clear terms the full scope of what the company does to achieve that. Del Monte keeps customers informed about what’s in their food, how it is grown, and how it is packaged and transported to the point of sale.”
Highlights of Del Monte Foods’ Sustainability achievements:
Creating a Transparent Food Chain: Connecting consumers and ensuring integrity
- In FY2018, all Del Monte Foods facilities achieved an A or AA rating following an audit that was part of the Global Food Safety Initiative.
- Thanks to the careful farm to factory product monitoring, in less than 4 hours Del Monte Foods can track the source of all ingredients using electronic tracking.
- “Growers of Good” is a Del Monte Foods initiative that includes an Agricultural Transparency Project. The aim is to demonstrate transparency from farm to table; as part of this, Del Monte is introducing some of its farmers from more than 900 family farms through ‘Meet our Growers’ activities.
Caring for Earth’s Goodness: From roots and soil to water and climate
- 98 percent of Del Monte tomato growers utilize drip irrigation for targeted application of water and fertilizer.
- Since 2015 Del Monte Foods has eliminated 2.3 million miles from its distribution network, saving the equivalent of