Aug 21, 2017Pure Flavor plans 75-acre greenhouse project in Georgia
Pure Flavor has invested more than $105 million to build a 75-acre greenhouse facility and distribution center in Peach County, Georgia, south of Atlanta.
The new greenhouse complex, located just 90 minutes south of Atlanta and less than 3 miles from I-75, will grow tomatoes and cucumbers year-round. Coupled with Pure Flavor’s existing farms throughout Canada, U.S. and Mexico, growing in Georgia will further expand the company’s reach along the eastern seaboard as far north as Virginia, west to Texas, and all the way down to south Florida.
“The strategic investment in Peach County, Georgia, is one that will not only expand our acreage but also creates opportunities to strengthen and grow our retail and foodservice partnerships across the southeast with Georgia grown vegetables”, said Jamie Moracci, president. Moracci and his partners spent nearly two years researching locations across the U.S. for this expansion.
Key project facts:
- Location: Fort Valley (Peach County), Georgia – 3 miles off I-75
- 75-acre greenhouse complex
- Built in three phases of 25 acres over five years
- Investment: $105 million
- Distribution area: Georgia, Florida, North/South Carolina, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Virgina, Kentucky, Missouri, Texas
- New 75,000-square-foot distribution center on site to service the southeast
- Phase 1 commodities: Tomatoes and cucumbers
- Creating 200+ new year-round job opportunities over five years
- Largest facility of its kind in southeastern U.S.
The first phase of the project of 25 acres is due to break ground in September. International greenhouse manufacturer Havecon has been retained to build the facility in Georgia. Pure Flavor will have diffused roof glass installed to take advantage of the nutrient rich sunlight during peak season in the southern U.S. Pure Flavor will also be installing High Pressure Sodium (HPS) lights to be used as supplemental energy to help grow through the winter months.
Under the Pure Flavor brand, the company grows and markets a variety of greenhouse tomato, bell pepper, cucumber, eggplant, and living lettuce that is grown in Canada, U.S. and Mexico.
To learn more about the project, visit www.georgiagrownflavor.com.