Oct 5, 2022Michigan warns of Kuntry Garden’s use of human waste on crops
The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) is advising consumers not to eat produce grown at a farm in Homer, Michigan, because it may be contaminated by raw, untreated human waste.
MDARD is warning against eating fruits and vegetables from Kuntry Garden and marketed under the same brand, and has released a list of retailer outlets that sells produce from the farm. Produce still at Kuntry Gardens has been seized and state regulators are working with the farm “to oversee disposition and corrective action,” according to a news release.
During a routine produce safety inspection, MDARD staff found that Kuntry Gardens was using raw, untreated human waste on the fields where produce was grown for sale to local grocery stores and direct sale. Use of raw, untreated, human waste for growing commodities intended for human food is a violation of the Michigan Food Law, as well as other state and federal laws and regulations.
No illnesses have been reported to date; however, MDARD is urging any individuals experiencing symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, jaundice (yellowing of the skin), fever, abdominal cramps, loss of appetite, weakness, headache or other symptoms of foodborne illness to seek medical advice.
If not treated professionally, human waste and other body fluids can spread diseases such as hepatitis A, Clostridium difficile, E. coli, rotavirus and norovirus.
Product may have been further distributed or sold at additional locations, but is known to have been sold at the following locations in Michigan:
- Kuntry Gardens, 29910 R Dr. South, Homer
- Busch’s Fresh Food Market stores in Ann Arbor, Brighton, Canton, Clinton, Dexter, Farmington Hills, Livonia, Novi, Pinckney, Plymouth-Northville, Rochester Hills, Saline, South Lyon, Tecumseh and West Bloomfield
- Simply Fresh Market, 7300 Grand River Rd., Brighton
- White Lotus, 7217 W. Liberty Rd., Ann Arbor
- Argus Farm Stop, 325 W. Liberty Street, Ann Arbor
- Agricole Farm Stop, 118 N. Main Street, Chelsea
- Pure Pastures, 1192 Ann Arbor Rd., Plymouth
- Ypsi Coop, 312 North River Street, Ypsilanti
- Greener Pastures Market, 21202 Pontiac Trail, South Lyon
- Holiday Market, 520 S. Lilley Rd., Canton
- Cherry Capitol, Traverse City
The Food and Drug Administration’s Recalls, Market Withdrawals & Safety Alerts website, which lists recall information posted by the company supplying the products, does not include a listing from Kuntry Gardens.